Saturday Club Ride
Groups and Routes
- Please use this link to see the group’s routes and departure times from the Leisure Centre
- Please use this link for Strava / Komoot route details and gpx files
The Saturday social ride is a group ride starting at 9.30am from Kendal Leisure Centre and getting back to Kendal for approximately 12.30am. The ride is not a lead ride, so you must be aware of the routes in the links above. On arrival back in Kendal, members meet at the Brewery Arts Centre for a post ride coffee/cake and a chance to catch up with other groups. Please arrive at 9.20am for a briefing and group organisation.
Please make sure you are aware of the code of conduct below:-
KCC Group Riding Code of Conduct
- A maximum of 8 riders per group.
- No one gets left behind. We should finish the ride with the people we started with.
- Riding on the front brings the responsibility for setting the right pace, pointing out hazards, signalling directions and crossing junctions safely.
- Information must be passed up and down the group. This includes passing information back about hazards and directions and passing information forwards about vehicles behind or the pace needing adjustment.
- People should ride close enough to communicate effectively. No half wheeling.
- Consideration must be given to other road users. This means riding in groups of 8, choosing when to ride in pairs or single file, slowing or stopping to allow vehicles to pass and overtaking other ride groups safely.
- Please read the full code of conduct
There are various groups to cater for different distances and average speeds:
- Green: 20-25 miles, 8-10 mph (32-40 km, 13-16 kmph) + Ladies only group
- Blue B: 30-40 miles, 10-13 mph (48-64 km, 16-21 kmph) + Ladies only group
- Blue A: 30-40 miles 13-15 mph (48-64 km, 21-24 kmph)
- Red B: 40-50 miles, 15-16 mph (64-80 km, 24-26 kmph)
- Red A: 40-50 miles, 16-17 mph (64-80 km, 26-27 kmph)
- Black B: 45-50 miles+, 17-19 mph (64-80+ km, 27-30 kmph)
- Black A: 45-50 miles+, 18-20 mph (64-80+ km, 29-32 kmph)
- First Saturday of the month – New Members’ Introductory Rides
If you’re unsure about which group to ride with then opt for the shorter/slower ride.
Any person who wishes to join the club ride but hasn’t experience of cycling with a club must read our group riding booklet and come along to one of our non-members’ introductory rides. These are held on the first Saturday of the month, 9.30 am at the Leisure Centre and pre-registration is required.
- 12 to 14 year olds will need to ride with a parent or guardian and a signed parental consent form.
- 14 to 16 year olds will need to ride with a responsible adult, a signed parental consent form and will need to contact us prior to the ride.
- 16 to 18 year olds will need a signed parental consent form.
Non-members can take part in one ride and for this ride only they are covered by British Cycling club insurance. If they wish to take part in subsequent club rides, then they must be club members and in order to provide personal third-party liability insurance, we strongly recommend that members join British Cycling. Details are on the British Cycling website.
The ultimate responsibility for personal safety and well-being is with the individual rider. Cycling activities with the club are undertaken at the individual’s own risk. Wearing a helmet on a club ride is mandatory and tri bars are not allowed.
Those attending should adhere to all the following guidelines and carry their membership card. If the coordinator is not happy with your equipment or ability on the ride you may be asked to leave the ride. Always ride safely and obey the Highway Code. All participants are responsible for their own actions.